Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Mahal Kita - A Fundraiser for the Philippines

I served a mission for the LDS church way back in '96-'97. We don't get to pick where we go, sometimes people go to exotic locations like Hong Kong and sometimes they go to not so exotic locations like Oklahoma. No matter where you go, it's always an adventure. I was sent to British Columbia. One of the areas I served in, Richmond, had a high population of Filipino speaking people. We met a little old lady named Mrs. Cortez (who said Imelda Marcos' bus ran over her husband) and her daughter and grandsons. We loved visiting Mrs. Cortez because she was nice, albeit a little senile. She used to put her hand on my shoulder and pull me towards her and whisper loudly in my ear, "Pray for me! Pray for me that I will be safe!" We always did. One phrase I learned from the Cortez family was Mahal Kita, which means "I love you." So when I heard of the tornado in the Philippines, my heart was turned back to the little old lady who would ask us to pray for her and I thought to pray for her people.

This isn't a template Tuesday as much as it is a fundraiser. I have created two options.

1. Purchase the original artwork on Etsy for $100
2. Purchase and download the template and two prints on Etsy for $15.

Whichever option you choose, 100% of your donation will be given to the American Red Cross - or if you have a charity which you like better, that is giving to the Philippines, let me know and I will send the money there. I don't know how to make a direct link of your payment on Etsy to the charity, you're just going to have to trust me. I promise I will.

Here is what the artwork looks like. It says Mahal Kita (I love you) and the flowers around the wreath are the national flowers of the Philippines, the Sampaguita. The papercut is on a cream colored Stonehenge paper, 120lb. It's about 7.5" x 7" in size. It hasn't been mounted to any paper yet, so if you want it attached to a black or green or brown or blue background, I can do that. Just specify what you want. The second image is another printing option that you can do and is available in the print download.



Mahal Kita to you all and know that I ask in my prayers, wherever you may be, that you will be safe.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

PaperPetal Paper Cuts
Love your work, especially the detail. A big thumbs up from a fellow paper cutter x